Boone County Community Foundation Grants
The Boone County Community Foundation invites charitable organizations in Boone County to apply for a community grant funded by the Melvin & Mildred Banks Grant Fund and the Wilbur & William Cummings Grant Fund.
Melvin & Mildred Banks Grant Fund
The Banks farmed and ran numerous businesses in Boone County their entire lives. Melvin & Mildred were both active and supportive community members. They have graciously endowed an unrestricted fund for Boone County non-profit organizations.
Wilbur & William Cummings Grant Fund
Wilbur and William Cummings were lifelong residents of Boone County. Pursuant to their interests, a grant program was established that enhances the Boone County community. The majority of the proceeds are available for the Boone County Fair Association and the Boone County Historical Society. The balance is reserved for at-large community purposes.
Grant Application Process Opens August 1
Closes/Deadline – September 15
Projects to be completed the year following application
Purpose of Funding
To award grants for projects that enhance the quality of life in Boone County.
• Be a not-for-profit organization that carries out charitable projects or provides services in Boone County
• Operate an organization that does not violate anti-discrimination laws
• Have submitted a final report or progress report from any previous year if the organization received a grant
What we do not fund
• Budget deficits
What we fund
• Health and social services
• Educational programs
• Community and neighborhood projects
• Children, youth, and family projects
• Cultural and arts-related projects
What we look for in a project
• Addresses a community need
• Celebrates the diversity in our community
• Articulates reasonable, measurable outcomes
• Outlines a specific plan for project
• Encourages cooperation with other organizations
• Demonstrates quality, vision, effectiveness, and good management
Criteria used in awarding grants
• Addresses community need, increases access for underserved people, and fosters cooperation with other organizations or agencies
• Describe plan for project clearly and outline the planning process and completion goals
• Provide a balanced budget with expenses clearly indicated and evidence of cash match, in-kind, and other funding sources
• In-kind includes any goods or services that would have been purchased
• Provide evidence of the fiscal responsibility of organization
• Provide measurable outcomes for project
• Prior grant final report submitted by deadline if the organization received funding for a previous project
Grant Application Process
Our community grant program accepts applications starting August 1. All applications must be completed and turned in by September 15. There are two options when applying.
1. Applying online. All necessary forms and other required documentation can be filled out, uploaded, and submitted online. If you choose to do this option, we encourage you to have all of the needed information and documentation ready because you are not able to save and go back. It must all be entered and submitted during the same session.
2. Download & fill out PDF versions of the forms. Print all necessary forms and provide a copy of all required documentation and mail them to the Boone County Community Foundation Office by September 15th.
Grant Application Checklist
1. Completed Grant Application Form
2. Narrative (online version is built into the application)
- 500 words or less, no smaller than 10pt type.
- Briefly describe history, mission, goals, and organization’s structure.
- Project/Program description, uniqueness.
- Goals and plans for fulfilling the project/program
- Proposed measurable outcomes.
- Evaluation process with any data to be gathered.
- Any collaborating organization in the project/program.
- Alternative and other funding sources.
- Plans on adapting project, based on funding.
3. Proposed Budget for Project/Program
4. Proof of Non-Profit Status
5. One-page total budget summary of the current fiscal year for the organization
6. One-page resume of any contracted individuals and project/program director if applicable
7. Current list of Board of Directors
8. 1-3 examples of publication, brochures, promotional materials for the organization
Final Report & Budget
A final report and budget must be filled out within 30 days of the completion of the project/program. A progress report on the previous year’s grant must be given to the Foundation if that project is not completed before the current grant deadline.